There are few industries in the world that are as clean and green as the electric car industry. For hundreds of years, we have been damaging the environment with toxic fumes from gas-powered cars and trucks.
Finally, electric cars offer a sensible and pragmatic solution to the climate crisis.
Only ten years ago, the sale of electric cars was less than 150,000 worldwide. Now, ten years later, two million electric cars have been sold within the first quarter of 2022. This is a huge increase, and it has even increased by 75% in one single year.
In this article, we are going to be discussing the projections and data for electric cars in coming years. Let’s get started!
How Many Electric Cars Are Sold In The US?
As we know, the sales of electric cars in the US have dramatically increased, but how many are sold? Well, in 2021, almost 700,000 electric cars were sold. This year, there have already been 600,000 electric cars sold.
This is due to the growing climate worries, as well as state incentives that are put in for electric cars.
How Many Hybrid Cars Are Sold In The US?
In 2020, it was estimated that over 5 million hybrid cars were purchased in the US. This is amazing, and the only country that beats this is Japan, with the sale of 7.5 million hybrid vehicles.
In 2019, the percentage of hybrid cars in circulation in the US was only 2%, but now, it seems that it is massively increasing. This is making up around 20% of car sales now.
Why Have Electric Cars Become Popular?
You may know that modern electric cars have been produced and sold for over ten years, but why have we only just started seeing a huge increase in sales and ownership? One of the reasons is due to the growing concerns with climate change.
It is no secret that climate change is worrying, and impending. There are few things that our world can do to solve this, but the automotive industry is one of the biggest contributors to global warming, meaning there needs to be a solution.
It is estimated that a large gas car contributes to almost a fifth of emissions in our atmosphere and world. This is a huge amount, and is on the same level as factories and fossil fuels.
This is because most people have a car and drive them, meaning tonnes of greenhouse gases are released into the atmosphere. Now, what is the solution?
Electric cars have always been an amazing alternative to fuel cars, and it helps that they are green, and made with renewable energy. Yes, there is a battery that has to be produced and disposed of, just like many electrical devices.
However, the effects of this are less harrowing than the effects of greenhouse gas emissions from fuel cars.
Quite simply, electric vehicles are popular due to the concerns over climate change, something that has not been taken seriously for some years.
Additionally, electric cars require less maintenance, they make little to no noise, they drive well, they accelerate fast, and there are barely any running costs. All of these factors contribute to the popularity of electric cars in recent years.
Additionally, a lot of states have incentives for buying electric cars. This means that if you purchase an electric car in a certain state, you are likely to receive a rebate, or a tax deduction. Some states even offer $7,000 if you buy an electric car.
This is due to the fact that electric cars are still super expensive, so they are not accessible to a lot of people. The price and the need for electric cars are reasons why certain states are trying to push for them so much.
Electric Car Statistics – Data And Projections
Let’s look at some statistics and projections for electric cars in the US.
Toyota is one of the most popular electric car producers, and the company accounted for almost 65% share in hybrid sales in the US. The Prius remains one of the most popular hybrid cars, accounting for 4% of hybrid sales in the entire country.
- It is estimated that Tesla has sold 302,000 cars in the US so far. The Tesla Model 3 is also the electric car with the longest battery range in the past few years.
- The number of EV charging stations available in California alone is 14,600. This is because California has the greatest number of electric cars in the entire country, with just under half a million electric cars. Other states with a lot of electric cars are Oregon, Washington, and Texas.
- There are now over 22,000 electric charging stations in the US, with the electric vehicle charging demand being 5TWh.
- Over 40% of millennials are very likely and planning to buy an electric vehicle! This is a great number, and it is estimated that electric vehicles will become super popular in the coming years.
- The US electric car market was 24 billion USD in 2020, but it is estimated that it is going to grow to 137 billion by 2028.
- The amount of electric vehicles in circulation in the US has increased to 3 million, and it is estimated that this number will be 25 million by the year 2030.
- In California, electric vehicle sales are at 350,000 a year, but it is projected to turn into 1.1 million in 2030, too. This is because California still makes up a big percentage of electric vehicle sales in the US.
- It is also projected that new and affordable electric vehicles will come into circulation within the next year or two.
- There is also the projection that the charging time for 80% battery will only take twenty minutes soon.
Electric cars are necessary, and as you can see by these statistics, they are increasing in popularity and demand. It is projected that electric vehicles will become more affordable and popular in the coming years, so look out for an electric car if you do not already have one!
- Is it Safe to Ride an Electric Scooter in the Rain? - January 24, 2023
- Is a Scooter Easier than Walking? (Answered: Electric and Kick Scooters). - January 23, 2023
- Why Won’t My Electric Scooter Turn On? - January 21, 2023